BE My Own Lawyer Terms and Conditions
Membership of BE My Own Lawyer is subject to agreement to these terms and conditions. Please read them carefully.
1. Barker Evans Law Ltd operates BE My Own Lawyer and is owned and run by Rosamund Evans a solicitor regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and is a separate entity from Barker Evans Private Client Law which is a law firm authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. The company registered address is 29 Bridgford Road West Bridgford Nottingham NG2 6AU. We offer an online legal information and subscription service called BE My Own Lawyer.
2. You are a person subscribing or intending to subscribe to the BE My Own Lawyer. Subscribers to BE My Own Lawyer are referred to as ‘members’.
3. BE My Own Lawyer offers legal information and other resources relating to age, mental capacity, inheritance and trusts. Some BE My Own Lawyer products may be available for individual purchase without subscription. These terms and conditions apply to those products or services also unless stated otherwise.
4. Content available to BE My Own Lawyer members and other visitors to the site relates to the law of England and Wales UK and is not intended to be relevant to the law of other jurisdictions.
5. New products and services will be added to the site as and when we see fit and we reserve the right to amend, update and occasionally delete material (if for example, it is rendered obselete by changes in legislation or if there is insufficient demand for it).
6. Members will receive newsletters and other information by email from time to time, at various intervals which give details of new services and features available on the site relating to our business. Members can unsubscribe from receiving such information at any time.
Joining as a Member
7. You can join BE My Own Lawyer by completing the application form and paying the required membership fee for the membership services you require. Membership is personal to you and is not transferable.
8. Membership can be monthly or annual. Monthly membership is only available if members agree to pay online on a recurring payment basis. Annual membership is available by payment online or by electing for advance invoicing.
9. Basic membership is available on an individual basis. Payment for Basic membership enables access to the free elements and resources only of the BE My Own Lawyer service. We reserve the right to refuse membership on any basis at our discretion. The BE My Own Lawyer Basic membership service may be withdrawn at any time without notice at our discretion.
10. Plus and Plus1 membership offers members have access to additional features of BE My Own Lawyer including a fixed number of telephone consultations of 30 minutes maximum per call per 12 month period of membership. Additional telephone consultations may be purchased separately and are subject to additional terms and conditions.
Cancellations and Refunds
11. Basic members may cancel their membership at any time on submitting notification to Barker Evans Law Ltd by email to email@example.com or by post to our business address at Bridgford Business Centre, 29 Bridgford Road West Bridgford Nottingham NG2 6AU, giving all membership details to enable us to identify individuals on our system. Text messages are not accepted as a valid method of cancellation of any BE My Own Lawyer services. Basic members are not entitled to any refunds.
12. Plus and Plus1 members may cancel membership at any time within the first 14 days. Plus and Plus1 membership is subject to a minimum period of 3 months and no refunds are given outside the first 14 days of membership. On notification of cancellation within the first 14 days we will refund any membership fees paid within a period of 7 working days. The membership fee for renewing members wishing to cancel will only be at our discretion.
13. Plus members wishing to upgrade to Plus 1 membership, if their application is approved, a proportionate part of their current membership fee will be credited to them up to the period when their Plus1 membership commences.
14. Barker Evans Law Ltd will not be liable to refund all or part of a membership fee other than in the circumstances described in clause 12 above or any amendment thereto.
15. Members will be provided with username and password to allow access to areas of the site that are exclusive to members. You agree to keep these confidential and not to allow any other person to use them to access the BE My Own Lawyer services unless specifically authorised by us.
16. Members are entitled to use the BE My Own Lawyer services in accordance with membership type. Members are not permitted to use any material from this site for commercial purposes unless authorised by us.
Termination of Membership
17. Plus and Plus1 membership and access to the site will be terminated automatically at the end of a membership period unless a renewal fee is paid. If you still wish to use the services of BE My Own Lawyer you will need to re-join.
18. We reserve the right to terminate the membership of Basic members immediately if there is any breach of membership terms and conditions.
Changes to Fees
19. We reserve the right to alter membership fees from time to time after giving you 14 days notice of the proposed increase. Any increase in membership fees will only apply after the expiry of your current membership.
20. To facilitate your membership we need to collect and retain your personal data. By subscribing to BE My Own Lawyer you consent to us keeping and using your personal information for the purposes of contacting you about the BE My Own Lawyer membership service and with information we believe may be of interest to you, including marketing. We do not sell personal data to third parties and except as set out below we will not disclose your personal data to anyone outside our business without your consent and in accordance with the law.
21. We reserve the right to disclose members details in the following circumstances:
- to any government official or police officer authorised to request it
- any contractors employed by us to maintain or upgrade our website by reason of the work they are doing.
Access to BE My Own Lawyer Services
22. Due to the nature of online services we cannot guarantee that your use of the online services of BE My Own Lawyer will be free from interruption or errors.
23. We will not be responsible for any failure to provide the services of BE My Own Lawyer for reasons beyond our control or force majeure, such as but not limited to: war, acts of god, terrorism, earthquake, explosion, fire, flood, abnormal weather conditions, civil unrest, acts of governments or other agencies, industrial disputes and non-availability of material.
24. The content of the website including content intended only for members is for general information only. We will always try to ensure that material on the site is accurate and up to date, however, we offer no guarantees that the information will always be the most suitable for your purposes or that documents, forms and letter templates are correct and suitable for you or your situation.
25. The way in which members use the services provided through the BE My Own Lawyer section of this website is their own responsibility and we cannot accept liability for any problems resulting from use of the information, services and products of the BE My Own Lawyer service.
26. Any guidance given via online members’ forums or in response to members’ enquiries should not be regarded as definitive answers to a particular legal issue. Any comments or suggestions provided by us or any other members should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional advice from a qualified lawyer regarding actual legal issues or disputes.
27. The ownership and legal title and all intellectual property rights for all BE My Own Lawyer material on this website are either vested in Rosamund Evans and Barker Evans Law Ltd or are as described in the individual document or article.
28. You agree that you will not alter or remove any material, copyright information, logos or any other identification or information regarding the authorship of any part of the products and services.
29. You acknowledge that the information and documents on the website is for your personal use only and that reproduction and publication of any material on the site to any third-parties is prohibited without our express, prior permission. Any reproduction or publication with our authority is subject to you acknowledgeing the authorship of the material concerned.
Conditions of Use
30. You agree that you will use the online services of Barker Evans Law Ltd responsibly and in good faith. We reserve the right to terminate your membership if you do not.
31. Your membership will be terminated immediately in the following circumstances:
31.1 If your membership fee (where applicable) is not paid by you or your bank, credit card or other authorised payment service;
31.2 If you permit other unauthorised people to use your username and password to access the BE My Own Lawyer services;
31.3 If you copy or otherwise reproduce the material from this site for the use of non-members;
31.4 If you allow use of the membership material in such a way that a misleading, derogatory or inaccurate representation of Barker Evans Law Ltd or any of its employees is made;
31.5 If you post any offensive or defamatory material on the members’ forums or in blog post comments.
32. if you have a complaint about our membership services, please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to respond within 7 working days (under normal circumstances).
33. We reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions from time to time. Notification of any changes will be made to members and you will be bound by the amended terms and conditions after we have notified you of them, unless you choose not to be so bound in which case you must inform us within 7 days of our notification to you in writing and your membership will be cancelled forthwith. You will be entitled to request us to refund a proportionate part of your membership fees.