WHY CHOOSE OUR PROBATE SERVICES?
〉 We can support you through the whole probate and estate administration process.
〉 Our probate services are backed by specialist qualifications and training from:
〉 We have the expertise. Rosamund Evans has over 25 years probate and estate administration experience including dealing with complex inheritance issues. You can find out more about us here.
We do things differently
We do not charge a percentage of the estate or demand ‘arrangement’ fees, unlike some organisations. We have a range of payment options available if you need to spread the cost. You can find details about how our fees are calculated and the likely disbursements below.
We are a regulated, insured, ethical law firm. The Solicitors Code of Conduct does not permit solicitors to engage in cold-calling bereaved relatives. We do not believe such practices are appropriate or respectful and we don’t have any relationship with organisations that do use those tactics. What you will find from us is sympathetic, knowledgeable support.
DIY PROBATE SERVICE – from £1750
Thinking of applying for probate yourself but worried you don’t have all the skills?
Try our fixed fee ‘do-it-yourself’ probate service. We can sort out the technical side of getting a grant, leaving you to get on with administering the estate. Our document-only service is a quick and easy way to obtain a grant of representation. Our DIY Probate Service is suitable for uncomplicated estates where assets are easy to locate and value, there are no potential claims or disputes to consider and there are no charities involved.
DIY Service 1 – Completing IHT 205 form and drafting a statement of truth based on financial and property information you supply and verify. We submit forms and documents on your behalf to the Probate Registry and HMRC and respond to any questions raised by HMRC or the Probate Registry – £1,750 plus probate fees*.
DIY Service 2 – Completing IHT 400 and supplemental forms and preparing a statement of truth based on financial and property information you supply and verify. Assisting you to arrange payment of any inheritance tax due on the deceased’s estate and respond to any questions from either HMRC or the Probate Registry – £2,500 plus probate fees and any taxes*
As part of our fixed fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal statement of truth for you
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely supply two or more copies to you
Not sure where to start?
Download our free Probate Questionnaire Download.
And if you think you might need a bit more guidance as you’re going along you could try our fixed fee pre-booked telephone advice sessions or take a look at our BE My Own Lawyer membership service which has resources and on-line help for executors and trustees such as, How-To Guides, tips, updates, document and letter templates and a forum to discuss issues.
FULL PROBATE SUPPORT SERVICE
If you’ve never had to deal with a deceased person’s estate before it can seem daunting. That’s where our full support probate service can really help. You’ll get the reassurance of knowing everything will be handled by experts from start to finish. And you needn’t worry that estate money will be sitting in our bank account for months on end because WE DON’T HANDLE CLIENT MONEY. We do not hold money on behalf of the deceased person’s estate. That means you’re protected and you’re in control.
Here’s what our full support service can cover (individual situations may vary):
- Assist with registration of the death and liaising with funeral directors
- Arrange appropriate valuations for property and other assets
- Search for missing assets
- Search for lost Wills and missing beneficiaries
- Prepare tax forms for HMRC
- Prepare statements of truth and any necessary affidavits
- Arrange payment of any inheritance tax on behalf of the estate
- Submit an application for a grant of representation to the Probate Registry
- Deal with the deceased’s bank accounts
- Undertake bankruptcy and identity checks
- Arrange the sale of property and other assets
- Arrange payment of debts and other liabilities
- Publish Trustee Act notices
- Calculate final income tax and CGT
- Prepare estate accounts and arrange for distribution to beneficiaries
This is not a comprehensive list of what we do as individual situations may vary. We can do as much or as little as you wish either directly ourselves or through our trusted partners and suppliers.
Charges for our Full Probate Support Service start at £3,750** plus estate expenses and are calculated on an hourly rate basis in accordance with hourly rates current at the time we’re instructed. For details of our current hourly rate charges please contact us on 0115 7722129. If you prefer to negotiate a fixed fee this can be arranged in many cases.
What are probate estate expenses?
There are usually various costs that have to be incurred when dealing with a deceased person’s estate. The number and type of expenses will depend on the exact nature of the deceased person’s affairs. They may include:
- Death certificate fees – £11 per copy
- Probate fees – from £250 (for estates between £50,000 and £300,000)
- Land Registry office copies – £6.
- Bankruptcy search fees – £2 per name
- Trustee Act Notices – various (from £64)
This is not an exhaustive list and the fees shown are current at the date of publication and may be subject to change.
Unfortunately, problems can sometimes arise following the death of a relative. Disputes over inheritances are becoming increasingly more common and lay-executors can find practical difficulties that require expertise beyond their own skills.
As experienced probate practitioners, we are familiar with the types of problems executors and beneficiaries encounter. We offer sensible solutions and practical help.
For more information or to book an appointment fill in the form below or call us on 0115 7722129.
Come to one of our popular Wills and Probate Workshops and get insight into how to deal with problems relating to Wills and probate.